Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems
45790705

Couple things with the locks. All locks were working and

Customer Question

Couple things with the locks. All locks were working and they stopped today when I was trying to program new remotes. Truck would not go into program mode to program. Now when i use the driver side lock and unlock button, none of the doors lock. However if I manually lock all the doors and then hit the driver unlock button they all unlock. The passenger side door will not lock either only unlock the passenger side and 2 rear doors.
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: Yes it a 2001 Suburban
JA: What is the model of your '01 Chevy?
Customer: 01 Suburban
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I"m pretty mechanically inclined. Ive tried everything in the original message with the programming
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No at the moment
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be be posting a replay ASAP

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. Just an FYI the driver unlock and the lock relays click when pressing the lock and unlock buttons. Even with a new relay

you welcome

give me a few , i want look up thew wiring diagram for it.

if any of the door lock actuator is malfunctioning it will not let you enter the programing mode that is one possibility

the bcm module will also cause that , i will be right back

what is the mileage on it ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
368,000. I'm not concerned as much about the programming the remotes. I need to get the lock and unlock buttons back working as well.
This all started after I tried to enter program mode and I checked the driver side door lock actuator for power.

OK THERE IS A LOCK &UNLOCK RELAY IN THE FUSE BOX

I SENT YOU THE LOCATION IN THE FUSE BOX FOR IT , WE NEED TI CHECK THESE RELAYS FIRST CAN YOU DO THAT AND LET ME KNOW

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ive checked these and replace 1 of them. Driver unlock and lock click even with the new ones.

HOW ABOUT THE OTHER RELAY MAYBE GETTING STUCK INTERMITTENTLY

IF THE RELAYS ARE GOOD ,THEN NEXT WE NEED TO CHECK THE BCM MODULE THAT WHAT CONTROL IT .

is this first time this happens ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I Switched it with a known good one as well, it just wasn't new
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it all happened today. Everything has been working fine and I started checking things as to why it would not go into program mode and then this happened

1-pull the driver connector you checked and make sure it is making contact, look inside for backed out pins

2-next , need to check the wiring harness coming to the driver door from the cabin side , the one between 2 hinges ayou have opened the door a lot

some time the wires breaks , you will have to peel the rubber cover off to get to harness and unwrap the black tape around the wiring harness to get to them

look for broken wire or wires touching each other

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok I will check all this in the morning. Will touch basis with you then

ok sounds good , talk to you tomorrow

Chad

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Good Afternoon, I've worked on the car today and checked the things you asked and everything is fine there. Any more Ideas

hey how are you

if the bcm is good , that leaves the actual door actuator, we need to confirm they are working, it puzles me that none is working at same time

looking at the wring diagram the bcm controls them ,how confident this know bcm u tried is working, was it a used one off junk yard or off another car that you saw working ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I didn't switch the BCM I switched the relay with a known good one. I'm think8ng that it's a bad ground sonewhere at the BCM
I agree ,get back to it and unplug it and inspect it,I just don't believe any of the a tutors at bad ,a ground issue or BCM itself ,let me know
Chad