Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., A.S.E. Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years working on imports and domestic cars
17920890

2002 chevy trailblazer is sputtering

Customer Question

2002 chevy trailblazer is sputtering
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 3 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.Have you done a tune up at all? And have you checked the fuel pressure?If you could give alittle more information I could help better.
Let me knowThanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Sonny,
Not sure how to check fuel pressure
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have not yet change the plugs, the truck idles fine, when I'm going up hill or when I'm between 40 and 50 mph it sputters
Aw yea you need a tune up. Plugs and probably a coil or two.
Does the check engine light flash when it happens?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I get no lights on the dash even while the event is occurring. how do i determine which coils to replace?
I'd first do plugs and recheck.
There is a very slim chance it could be related to fuel pressure as well but you need a fuel pressure gauge to check it. And to determine which coil might be effected, if the check engine light isn't on, we would need a scanner with data.Do you have either? Or access to them? Scanner or fuel pressure gauge?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I though the scanner only works when a check engine light is on,
It has to be one with data stream that shows misfires. That way you can see what cylinder or cylinders is misfiring and we could proceed with diagnosing the exact problem.
How long does it stumble for? Can you make it stumble for 10-15 seconds at least?If you can it should set a code which will also tell us which cyl is acting up.
Just to let you know I will be signing off for the night in just a few min but I'll be back on early in the morning.I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny