Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 pickup. Had to drive home

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 pickup. Had to drive home 50 miles in second as shifting lever simple floats. It is obviously unconnected to the normal shifting system. Where to I start? Can this be done in my driveway, as I can not start as is in gear.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: original transmission. I am not clear on what your meaning to check the brake switch
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, possible. I have tried to look under the hood and under the truck for linkage rods be disconnect, however on line I discover there is a cable system......I will have to obtain some sketmatics of what this entails. Thanks
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Only that all was working perfectly until I tried to use shift hand to move out of 2nd once I heard/realized truck did not shift as normal.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

from the way you explain.this sounds as if the shift cable has broken and will need to be replaced

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price

Shift Cable

Shift Control Cable

15037353 $100.45

Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard

B 0.8 - 1.1 hours

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help