sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

The engine light is on, fan runs constantly and temp guage

Customer Question

the engine light is on, fan runs constantly and temp guage doesn't work
JA: Has your vehicled stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: no and no, next step is the code
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2013 cruze, and this has been an ongoing problem. I can disconnect the negative lead and reconnect and it works for a few days and happens again
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: coolent temp sensor, and the negative lead
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: it seems to be a common problem when I research it on google, didn't know if there was a standard fix or recall
Category: Chevy
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the temperature gauge doesn't work, the engine light comes on and cooling fan runs constantly all at the same time it's almost certainly because of a loss of coolant temperature sensor signal. If the problems happened independently of each other then you could have more than one problem, but if all of these things happen together there will be a single cause.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting. I expect it's either setting a coolant sensor high or low voltage code indicating a short to voltage/open circuit, or a short to ground. If the sensor has been replaced then it's most likely a wiring or connection problem.