Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

My 2003 Chev burned left side of dash Replaced interior

Customer Question

My 2003 Chev burned left side of dash
Replaced interior still same problem that caused the fire can someone help me?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This indicates usually that a short is occuring in the wiring harness leading into the dash itself or a component that the affected harness connects to.You will need to locate which wire or wires are burning and see where they lead and see if there is any shorts in the wiring needing repaired or replaced or if one of the components the wiring plugs into is causing the shorts needing replaced.If you can tell me where the wiring leads to this will help just let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The problem must be outside the cab because I've changed the complete dash and all wiring and electronics in the cab
I also disconnected the wiring from the under hood fuse box to the rear of the truck
I've replaced the left door latch and harness and window motor
But it's still the same
The problem I'm still having started before the fire and the fire started in the headlight switch area
The truck was shut off and doors locked with windows up it must have ran out of oxygen because it burned itself out
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm sorry but that doesn't help me much. I know there must be a short and if I knew where I'd be able to fix my problem.Ive done this kind of thing many times as an autobody repairman but never ran into this problem
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

This is definitely an odd issue here.Was anything after market wired into your vehicle at all before this fault occurred here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No nothing
I'm very experienced in this procedure having done it several times and thought it would be very simple just change all interior electrical and the dash but it's been anything BUT simple
I would normally say it has to be inside the cab but i was very careful installing everything and been picking every now and then for weeks now and still haven't found the problem
I thought because there's another one exactly the same as mine in the area that did the very identical thing
They both burnt in the identical way and both burnt themselves out for lack of oxygen
Maybe it's been a problem that one of you guys would have seen before and would know what the problem could be
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here myself.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete