Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

3500 hd 1997 While driving shortly after start up the air

Customer Question

3500 hd 1997 While driving shortly after start up the air conditioner stopped working. The fuel gauge that was reading 1/4 now was reading over full. Turned off the air. The fuel gauge started going nuts. At times it would go in complete circles. Now the engine will at random will shut off. Turn the key off. Then start engine, it may run a minute or maybe 5 and shuts off again.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: It's a 3500 HD Truck. It happens while driving or in park. Not sure about wheel lock feature.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Trying to. Have mechanical experience, just not on this truck. Hot wired air conditioner clutch and air works fine, pressure in system is ok. Grabbing wiring harness that runs along the fire wall and shacking will allow it seems for truck to run longer. Pulled off what I thought was the fuel sending wires on the front tank. The fuel gage would read 1/4 of a tank. Investigated fuel balance module.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you are able to wiggle the wiring harness and find that the engine runs o.k. for longer this can indicate an issue with the wiring harness itself with it needing inspected for any shorts or damage to it needing repaired or replaced.I would start with inspecting this harness for any issues and if any issues are found they will need repaired to correct this fault here.If this was already checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Pete,
Could not find anything wrong in that harness. Visually it looked good. Ohm tests on some wires showed no problems. After checking, started truck and only ran about 5 minutes.
Doc.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do you have any other suggestions as to what the problem is ?
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

I apologize for the delay as I was off line the last few days.

Is anything after market wired into your model at all like a remote start or alarm system?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There are no after market products on this truck.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Is there any way you can get the fault codes checked/read out with a fully compatible scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers in this model to see what codes are set and post the code info here?If not let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Scan shows no codes.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Was the scan done with a fully compatible scan tool that can read all computers in your vehicle?Some scan tools are able to only read the engine/transmission and anti lock brake computers.Let me know as we need to see if there are codes in components like the instrument cluster and body control module.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will double check, but I am pretty sure all components were scanned.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

O.k.,let me know what you come up with here when your ready.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
scan covers all the information that the vehicle will give us.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

This is a difficult question/fault for me to help answer and locate here myself.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete