Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I'm having a security issue. I've done the 10 minute on then

Customer Question

I'm having a security issue. I've done the 10 minute on then off then start 4 times and it still hasn't started.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Yes, and no. Usually when this has happened I've been able to open each door then do the blinker and then it will start. I have a brand new battery.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 02 z71
JA: What year is your Chevy?
Customer: 2002
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Is there anything else I can try to reset the security? I do t want to spend money.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 10 months ago.

Hi there.

When the manual relearn doesn't work, that's usually an indication that the body control module (BCM) is no longer receiving the signal from the PASSLOCK sensor - all of which basically means the system needs to be diagnosed with the aid of a Tech-II or equivalent scan tool.

As an FYI, some customers report getting better and less expensive service from their local licensed locksmiths as compared to that from their GM dealers.