Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

I'm having a security issue. I've done the 10 minute on then

Customer Question

I'm having a security issue. I've done the 10 minute on then off then start 4 times and it still hasn't started.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Yes, and no. Usually when this has happened I've been able to open each door then do the blinker and then it will start. I have a brand new battery.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 02 z71
JA: What year is your Chevy?
Customer: 2002
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Is there anything else I can try to reset the security? I do t want to spend money.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 2 months ago.

Hi there.

When the manual relearn doesn't work, that's usually an indication that the body control module (BCM) is no longer receiving the signal from the PASSLOCK sensor - all of which basically means the system needs to be diagnosed with the aid of a Tech-II or equivalent scan tool.

As an FYI, some customers report getting better and less expensive service from their local licensed locksmiths as compared to that from their GM dealers.