Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

2003 silverado 2500HD Duramax. smoke from tailpipe with

Customer Question

2003 silverado 2500HD Duramax. Gray smoke from tailpipe with strong diesel odor. Runs good.
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: It is 2003 with 172,000 miles. new fuel filter last year (6000 miles). New fuel injectors at around 115,000.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I change oil, grease, change fuel filter etc. Haven't tried andything for current problem
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Possible causes for this color exhaust smoke are going to be:

1. One or more injectors faulty
  2. Restricted air filter
  3. Stuck closed EGR valve.

Do you have a diagnostic tool?

Any trouble codes stored?

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris