Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have a 2010 Chevy Tahoe LTZ with about 90k miles on it.

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2010 Chevy Tahoe LTZ with about 90k miles on it. Runs great. About a week ago after a long trip I noticed it was hesitant on start up (electrical). The battery seemed a little drained. Had the battery and alternator tested, both tested good. The problem still continued. Replaced my starter yesterday. Old starter tested bad. Car started fine about 10 times. A little earlier I went to start it and it hesitated, again the battery seemed a little low on the dash reading. Not sure what's going on
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

my name is Gary

if you leave the negative battery cable off over night then connect it back in the morning will it crank over just fine and if you leave it connected up over night it will start slow like the battery is worn down ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I didn't try doing that. I did clean all the connections after the battery and alternator tested fine. And I replaced the starter yesterday afternoon and it started fine. I started it several times over the last 24 hrs. It started this morning fine, from the office fine, heading to the store fine. But when I started it after the store it hesitated. Got home turned it off and back on, started fine. Let it sit for about 30 minutes and it hesitated when starting. It's like a random issue that I'm having trouble pin pointing.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If I try what you suggested, and it starts fine after having the negative wire disconnected overnight, and starts slow with it connected overnight, what would that suggest?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

these type of issues is an intermittent big draw that when acting up will draw it down very fast or an intermittent bad connection at the starter

at this point its very hard to say which

since the battery cables are clean and tight and if they are can you have the battery retested for volts and for bad cells and for cold cranking amps again ?

if that still testes good and it will start fine every time with the negative battery off over night then there is an intermittent draw that a shop will need to connect a multi meter and see if you can capture it drawing over 50 MA if it does then then pull one fuse at a time and what ever fuse they pull that the draw drops below 50 MA is what the draw is

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thanks for the explanation. Can you explain the testing with the multi meter a little more? I have a multi meter and some experience with that sort of stuff. Where do you connect the multi meter to when pulling fuses?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

disconnect the negative battery cable and put the meter in series where one meter lead is at the negative at the battery and other lead on the negative cable end so the meter is kind of the negative battery cable then leave the truck sitting for 15 minutes and see if the reading is over 50 MA if so then pull fuses to find the draw

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, so I'm leaving the leads on the negative battery post and negative cable while pulling fuses, and looking to see if it dips below 50 MA with the fuse out correct?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

that is correct

what ever device is on the fuse you pull is the device not turning off

but again double check the battery and alternator before you do that draw test route

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok I will give all that a shot. You've been very helpful so far. I'll definitely give you a good rating after we get this figured out, you have my word
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

that is fine

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok much appreciated Gary
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

anytime

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok Gary update for youI did the multi meter test like you said. It got up as high as 32 MA but that was it after 20 minutesI checked the battery and it was at 12.69 voltsI reconnected it, and then opened the door for the interior light to come on. Also turned the key to on position. The battery dipped to 8 volts and wouldn't turn the car over.I put a jump on it and it went up to 12 volts. Started it and the battery is at 14.47 volts with it running.Any ideas?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

have to had the battery checked for bad cells and cold cranking amps ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Before I replaced the starter I had the battery tested while still in the vehicle. It tested ok. Also had it tested as I started up the car, battery and alternator were ok.Didn't have it tested for bad cells. Not sure what cold cranking amps is?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

with a battery tester it will test cold cranking amps and for bad cells be sure that battery is tested good for both of those next

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok I'll have to get that done. Hopefully it's the battery as it doesn't seem to be the alternator, a draw, and it's a slim chance I bought a faulty starter.Not sure what else it could be if it's not the battery?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

agreed

at this point if the battery tests out good then only thing left would be a possibility of the computer not telling the alternator to change intermittently which ends up being a computer reprogramming issue where a shop or the dealer can update the programming in the computer or a computer issue itself

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hey Gary, haven't had a chance to get to the garage yet today but let me tell you what happened today.This morning car hesitated a bit on start up. Started up ok from office to meeting. Hesitated when leaving meeting.Got home, shut it off for about 10 minutes with Voltmeter on the battery. Battery was reading 12 volts. Turned the key to start, battery dropped to 10 volts but the car wouldn't start, just did a loud click every couple of seconds.I jumped it and it started with the battery going up to and staying at 14 volts while running.I let it run for about 5 minutes then turned the car off letting it sit with the Voltmeter on it. I let it sit for about 15 minutes and the battery went down to about 12.5 volts.Turned the key to start and it dipped to around 10 volts but wouldn't start the car, just did the slow click every second again. It's not a fast clicking sound.Do you think that's the battery going bad?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also, do you think if the starter was going bad and I drove it for a week that could slowly kill a battery from harder start ups?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

i think that battery is bad

once the engine was running the alternator would fully charge the battery

if this is going dead this fast the battery itself is usually the issue