GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

A friend in a Chevy work truck was in an rear-end accident

Customer Question

A friend in a Chevy work truck was in an rear-end accident with an estimated damage of $12,000. The responsible party estimate is $5,700, and they say that the air bags that did not deploy do not need to be replaced, but the $12,000 estimate includes replacement of the airbags. What is the law on this?
JA: Just to clarify, how fast were you going and what did you hit?
Customer: My friend was stopped. The truck that hit my friend's truck was loaded with soil and had a large back hoe on a trailer. Don't know much more.
JA: What is the model of your '3700 Chevy?
Customer: I think so.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, professional repairs are needed. Is there a rule that undeployed air bags need to be replaced in certain accidents?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 months ago.

In order for the air bags to deploy the truck would have had to be going at least 15 mph. If the air bags did not deploy then they do not need to be replaced unless there is a fault code for them. Do you know if there are any fault codes in the bcm for the air bags?

If they had been hit head on, then the air bags could have deployed if they where sitting still.