GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2000 tahoe limited with the 5.7 vortec engine. We

Customer Question

I have a 2000 tahoe limited with the 5.7 vortec engine . We replaced the engine with a new crate engine and it was running but didn't have much power so I plugged my superchips programmer up to it to see if I had any codes and found p1345 cam crank code. So I had a new distributor installed and started it up still the same thing after clearing the code it came right back so we changed the crank sensor and went to start and then it wouldnt fire at all . So then we start looking and one of the ground wires at the front left side of the block had a ground come loose so we hooked them back up and still no fire coming from coil .
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We also tried putting the old distributor and old crank sensor back in just to get it back running and still no fire .. so we put the new distributor and crank sensor back in
Expert:  kalamykid replied 8 months ago.

Do you have a digital volt meter and a good test light to do some testing?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It will be in the morning before I go back to where the truck is but yeah I have both..

About what time do you think you will be able to go back to the truck? Will you have internet access so we can work step by step to solve this problem?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Probably around 8 or 9 am .. but yeah ill have Internet to be able to do a step by step

When you are ready just drop me a line right here on this string and I will get back to you asap.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can't remember but I think he said that my crank sensor wasn't sending a signal to the coil but once I get back up there I'll test it
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Alright sounds good

We can test the coil and see if it is getting a signal.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well I tried another crank sensor and it fired up but I still keep getting the p1345 code and it's still not got much power but idles smooth just won't get up an go

Please give me a couple of min to see what all you will need to do the correct this problem.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Alright sounds good

I am sorry but for some reason the site lost your string and I was not able to repost back to you. Do you have a test light, timing light and a digital volt meter? I know the timing is not adjustable by much, but this code is not for a bad cam sensor, but that the cam and crank sensor are not timed correctly so they are not in sync with each other.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't have a timing light but I'll buy one tomorrow .. do I need a special one or will like the cheapest one be good enough ? I do have a test light and volt meter

Do you have a scanner that will give you live data ? If you do or can barrow one you will not need a timing light.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have the superchips programmer and it will give me timing advance that I can look at but won't show the cam retard

Can you use it to tell me what the advance is with the engine at 1000 rpms please

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
21.0

How long did you hold it at 1000 rpms and did the advance fluctuate?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did put the programmer back to stock to get the reading .. just a couple of seconds .. how long do i need to

Did it stay at 21 the whole time it was set back to stock? What brand and model programmer do you have?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No it fluctuates some but at around 1052 it was at 21 degrees but I tried it again and it bogged down a little then was at 17 .. it's just a superchips flashpaq

Can you try this for me, Loosen the distributor hold down bolt and turn the distributor clockwize about 8 degrees and see where the advance is please.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
12.5
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But running rougher

I need you to do one more thing for me please. I need you to find the timing line on the harmonic balancer and measure the circumfrance then I need you to pull the cap back off, rotate the engine by hand two full turns clockwize till you have a the timing line where you can see it and mark a place on the timing cover. Then mark the location of the rotor button. Then I need you to turn the ballancer counter clockwize till the rotor button just starts to turn. Mark the timing cover again where the timing line stops and measure the dsitance between the two marks on the timing cover. This will tell me if there is any slack in the timing chain, and how much.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There wasn't hardly any play at all in it when we put the motor in on monday it's brand new and so is the distributor button an cap but I'll have to get it jacked up tomorrow if weather permits ..
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But first cylinder on right side of block TDC the rotor was pointed to the 8 on distributor if that helps any
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Where should the timing advance be at?

I am sorry I did not know that you had just put this engine in. You can disregard the last post then. Did you have cylinder 1 on a compression stroke?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yeah it was on compression stroke

Can you bring cylinder number 1 back up on a compression stroke, and line the ballancer marks up as shown in the diagram below, pull the distributor out and line the marks up as shown below. There are two dots you can use on the shaft and gear. then make sure the rotor button lines up as it is shown below in figure marked 2.

When you drop the distributor back in the flat spot on the distributor base will line up with the back of the intake.

The rotor button should turn clockwize and line up about where the corner of the flat spot is to the right.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Alright it'll probably be tomorrow as long as it's not raining .. I don't have a shop or carport to work under but I'll try for tomorrow

Let me know how it goes, and how it runs afterwards. Please leave your tune on a stock setting till we find and correct this problem please.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Alright I will

Thank you