BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I've got a 1993 Chevrolet k1500 4wd 5.7L. The engine is

Customer Question

I've got a 1993 Chevrolet k1500 4wd 5.7L. The engine is sluggish, hiccups at take off and will delay and hesitate for a few seconds then take off...studdering for a few seconds. I put new spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor but didn't check out anything further. One side has a stripped hole where you tighten down the cap. I purchased a new distributor thinking it will clean up the poor performance. On a slight incline the truck shifts down to 3rd and doesn't like to maintain speed. I believe its underpowered right now...possibly needs the timing set. Not 100% sure and I haven't done it before. Have some mechanical knowledge though
JA: How many miles are on the car? When did you last check the plugs?
Customer: 243k. Plugs are ac delco, installed around 2 months ago. No misfire, check engine, or consumption of oil
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. I put new spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that should cover it]
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I haven't had the truck too long, about 4-5 months. I've put 3000 or so miles without issues other than the lack of power. Engine sounds good and runs cool. Getting rough fuel mileage...around 9-10MPG. I charged the A/C and it's been working.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** can be caused by a number of things. I would start by changing the fuel filter if that has not been done recently. Once that is replaced if the problem persists then the fuel pressure needs to be tested to see if the fuel pump is failing. If the fuel pump is fine then it may be the MAP sensor or it can be a worn timing chain. A compression test would help to verify this. I hope this helps. If you need more help please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There's a receipt from around 6k miles ago where the guy I bought from had and oil change and fuel filter. Wouldn't a bad map sensor cause a check engine light?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ended up having a bad distributor and the timing need to be set. The timing was off...as I had suspected, someone previously had set the timing at 0 but must have left the electronic advance wire disconnect. When we checked it, it was at -20. I appreciate the advice but ended up not checking the things you suggested and going with my gut....good thing as it saved me time and money. Thanks for trying though.