BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Guage slowly quit reading over about 3 weeks time. Went to

Customer Question

Guage slowly quit reading over about 3 weeks time. Went to test Sending unit, it had 3 wires, but plugs into a connector with only two wires. The dark green one from the sensor has a plug in the female connector it connects to.
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: No codes engine coolant temp sensor
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2002 silverado 2500hd
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Went to test the sensor by ground the connector where the green wire hooks up, but no terminal in the female side
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Gauge on instrument panel over the three weeks gradually kept reading less an less
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** vehicle actually has a more common issue with the gauge failing than anything else. That is more than likely the issue. I would start by using a scan tool to see what the computer is seeing as the temperature of the coolant. If the readings are different then the gauge is bad. If they are both the same then it may be the circuit. If you need more help please let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hey, I'm Steve. Suppose this is one where one has to replace the whole instrument cluster too.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Bobby, my Guage isn't reading at all. Was trying to test the Guage by grounding the dark green wire. Then the temp Guage should go to hot if it is good, right. Problem is the sensor has three wires, but the female side of the connector is 3 places but only two wires. The third spot is where the green wire would go. How to test the Guage then? All is originall, owned the truck from new.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
07 August 2016 08:09
Bobby, my Guage isn't reading at all. Was trying to test the Guage by grounding the dark green wire. Then the temp Guage should go to hot if it is good, right. Problem is the sensor has three wires, but the female side of the connector is 3 places but only two wires. The third spot is where the green wire would connect to but has a seal plug in it. How to test the Guage then? All is originall, owned the truck from new. Wanted to weed out that the Guage is or isn't working. Have a new sending unit, but agree with you that the Guage is very likely that problem.