Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

The right rear inside pad on my 2001 was down to bear metal

Customer Question

the right rear inside pad on my 2001 monte carlo was down to bear metal and the outside was still 50% at least,the left side was just the opposite in fact the inside of the left rotor had rust on it. both calipers were out the vehicle has 70,000 miles on it;
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: myself,Ijust took it apart.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Chevy
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im david. do the caliper pistons retract ok when using a c clamp or appropriate piston tool?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

ok. do you have new pads on hand? to put in and have someone apply the brakes while you watch for even and smooth piston operation?

also, how clean or dirty is the brake fluid?

any update?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How in the hell am I supposed to see smooth piston travel when you can barley see in between them and how far does the piston actually travel anyway 26 dollars what a rip I'll never do this again.

you have someone apply the brake and you watch for proper operation of the caliper. its often difficult to troubleshoot a problem without being at the vehicle. sorry you feel that way. apparently you have a bad caliper problem or contaminated fluid, but i dont throw parts at vehicles til something fixes it. anyone can do that. good luck and good day.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

The right rear caliper isn't sliding, so clean and grease the slides.

The left rear caliper appears not to be working at all, replace it, clean and grease those slides as well, bleed the brakes.