Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

How do disable factory alarm on 2001 Chevy suburban

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

is the horn beeping ?

does the truck start up and run ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The truck does run and start I am trying to install another alarm. However can't find where to disable the factory alarm.
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

the factory alarm will just beep the horn when the remotes set the alarm

is that the alarm you are trying to disable ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was told it was the light green wire the person installing my alarm cut the wire but when he tried to put the new alarm on the horn started beeping
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is the passive alarm that makes the horn go off
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

the passive alarm is built into the BCM and there is no way to disarm or shut it off unless the BCM is sent out and programmed by an aftermarket programmer to remove that system out of the BCM but when that is done the remotes will not work anymore

i have seen after market systems added to these trucks but never have seen one to remove or disable the stock system since it is all run by the BCM

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
there is no way to stop the horn from going off or disable the alarm?? I don't need the remotes to work because the new alarm has remotes
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

you can cut the horn wire from the BCM to the horn relay that will stop the horn from beeping but not the lights from blinking

the black wire from the BCM

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there a way to disable the lights from flashing
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

no like i said it is all run through the BCM

Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

I just talked to a friend / coworker of mine and one quick way to get that system off would be to send out that BCM to a programmer and have them reprogram the BCM with a NO passive alarm feature so it will be off

there are many if you do a quick search online