Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

Tow haul is engaging and disengaging on its own, 02

Customer Question

Tow haul is engaging and disengaging on its own
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 02 Silverado 1500
JA: What year is your Chevy?
Customer: 2002
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Would like to fix myself and I've tried nothing tried looking for a fuse or relay just to unplug it
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: It starts fine and I have 230,000 miles on it
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Is there a way I can just shut it off
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What usually fails or shorts out is the tow/haul switch on the shifter knob or the wiring where it runs through the shifter handle to the steering column.I would inspect the wiring to see if a short is found with the wiring that can be repaired.In most cases the shifter handle needs replaced to correct this fault here unfortunately.I do not see a separate fuse myself for the tow/haul function to disable it.But you can remove the steering column covers behind the steering wheel to then disconnect the wiring connection coming out of the shifter to disable this here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete