GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have an 01 Chevy Tahoe. We recently just put in a rebuilt

Customer Question

I have an 01 Chevy Tahoe. We recently just put in a rebuilt transmission. The new one is in, but the speedometer isn't working and it only has first and second gear
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: I'm not sure the year on the new one...and no we have not checked the brake switch.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: Its a 2001 Tahoe. It only has first gear, won't switch into second
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes we are. And he just fixed the biggest plug on the left side of the transmission. It has six wires. Two green, one black, one red, and one purple
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Um.....nope I the nk that's about it
Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 5 months ago.

What size engine do you have in your truck?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
V8

Do you have the 4l60e or the 4l80e transmission in your truck?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am actually not sure...I asked my fiance and he is not sure either...its a rebuilt tranny, and we had just put it in a couple days ago. It has the GM certified rebuild sticker on it.

Are you where we can look at a few things and try to find your problem, or do you need for him to get off work so we all can work together to solve this problem?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am at work currently and so is he....we both don't get off til about 9 tonight. It would be best if we all work together to solve it though.

I will be online tonight so if you would like just drop me a line after you two have dinner and we can solve this problem.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK sounds good. I appreciate the help!!

I will chat with you later tonight. Have a great day, and do not worry we will find your problem.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You as well. Thanks again!

You are very welcome

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you online?

I am sorry I missed you. I had to take care of the youngster. Please let me know when you would like to get together to work on your problem.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i talked to another mechanic last night and he said it was the speedometer sensor...I would like a second opinion though because idk how to go about fixing the problem. Would you know how to do it

More then likely that will be where the problem is. Let me get back to my desk and we can go over what you need to look for.

I am back at my desk. Are you ready?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i am. Also, another mechanic said it could be the range sensor or whatever that has to do with the gears.

Can you go out to the truck and start it up. Shift the transmission through all the gears and see if the indicator lights up for all the gears you select.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it lights up for every gear
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The ABSlight is on too

The range sensor will not be a problem as it is working correctly

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok.

Do you know where the speed sensor is? Have you checked to see if it was plugged up?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do not know where it is

Let me post a diagram for you so you can see where it is.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok

Hold o my printer is giving e a problem.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No problem

I do not have a good diagram for the location of the speed sensor. If you look under the truck on the back side of the transfer case, the sensor will be on the top side of the transfer case just before where the rear drive shaft goes into the transfer case. It will have a two wire plug. The two wire will be a light blue and a dark green wire.

Do you have a transfer case you can switch in and out of 4x4?

If you would it would really help me if you could look on the back side of the transfer case and there should be a round red tag. Look on this tag and there should be a NPI with a 3 digit number. I need this 3 digit number please.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Give me one second I'm so sorry. I've never done his before and my fiance is at work, so idk where anything is located or looks like.

That is ok. Let me see if I can find a general diagram so you can see what is what and where.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thank you

I found a diagram for the location for the speed sensor. Here it is. You will need to get under the truck about mid way down the side of the truck between the front and rear tires to be able to see the transfer case. The speed sensor is number 1 in the diagram.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I see the cord you are talking about for the speed sensor. Well kind of. From here it looks like a dark blue wire and a light green wore that are twined together
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If that's the right one, my fiance said he's unplugged it and plugged it back in twice. And he didn't see a round red sticker

That is it.If it is plugged up then we need to check the wires and make sure they have not gotten pinch of broken.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok so how would I do that? Just reach up and unplug it? How do I know if its jammed

You will need a test light and a digital volt meter.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. So if we can borrow those from a shop where we live, what would be the next step?

Let me know when you have them and I will go over step by step what you have to do.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. I probably won't be able to get them until my fiance gets off work though. That should be around 6 maybe 7 though

I will be here for you when he gets home.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have another question as well. Before the transmission went out, the Tahoe was overheating every time we drove up a steep hill. It would be fine driving on the highway and to and from work and all that, but it only happened on a steep hill. Any ideas what that could have been? I thought it was the radiator, but I'm not sure. The AC unit no longer works either

Did the a/c work when the over heating started?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It started over heating after the ac stopped working

Was the transmission giving you trouble when this started?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No.the transmission didn't give any signs that it was about to go out. It just went out

What told you that the truck was over heating?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The temperature gauge. It usually stays just under 210, , but when it overheats it gets up to 245 and almost 260, which is the max on the gauge.

Was the check engine light on after it over heated?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Do you know what the codes where?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No we didn't run any codes.

Lets get it to shift and then we can work on the over heating problem.