Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

I have a 2002 Trailblazer. There is a parasitic draw on the

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Trailblazer. There is a parasitic draw on the battery that drains it overnight. The total draw (measured from the positive battery post) averages around 2 amps, and after a few minutes drops down to around 1.5 amps. About half of it is going to the power distribution block and the rest is going to the alternator. When this is happening, the key is completely off, key out, and no dash lights whatsoever. The alternator is new, battery is new, and the instrument panel cluster was swapped out for a known working unit to test.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: Yes, fuses are all good, in the course of my testing I did pull all fuses to try to narrow down the problem. The part of the drain that is going to the power distribution (fuse block is going to fuse 24 which is the instrument panel circuit.There are some burned out dash illumination lights but that is not the problem, and like I said, the instrument panel was temporarily swapped out for a know working unit.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a very busy job and really don't have a lot of time to work on my own vehicle. My previous posts in this conversation detail what has been done so far. Some I did, some I had a friend do.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's about it.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Clayso replied 7 months ago.

Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description most likely there is a short to power on the orange wire from fuse #24 to the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) or there is some aftermarket device tapped into this circuit causing the draw. Fuse #24 IPC/DIC powers up the IPC only. Just to make sure disconnect the IPC and recheck for a draw. An ammeter should be used to properly check for a draw. Install the ammeter between the battery negative and the negative battery cable. A jumper wire needs to be connected in parallel to the ammeter for about 30 minutes until the system goes to sleep. Make sure the ammeter is on and remove the jumper to see the actual vehicle's battery draw. The draw should be no more than 50 mA (.050 Amps).

I can offer a premium service for an additional 5 bucks and continue this conversation through regular email and or the phone, which ever works best. You can also share my address with your friend as needed. I have diagrams and technical information specific to this vehicle, and have chased many parasitic draws. Let me know.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.
Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.