Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I HAVE A 2002 GMC ENVOY SLT SWB I have a no start situation,

Customer Question

i HAVE A 2002 GMC ENVOY SLT SWB I have a no start situation, the vehicle had the fuel sending unit repaced a year ago and all ran fine for a year and 2 weeks .One day it would not start again . We could not hear the pump prime and so the sending unit was replaced again. About a week after the 2nd replacement the vehicle will not start again, again no primimg of the fuel pump. I had the fuel lines off to the engine and turned on the key, no fuel comes through. I have tried to replace relays with no success, i returned the vehicle to the garage that did the 2nd sending unit and he has given up saying he cannot find the issue. The engine cranks and will run if give a sprits of carb cleaner, but dies soon after that. I am leaning towards a bad ground..but have not been able to put my finget on the issue. I want to add that the vehicle was in a side wall collision but no airbag deployment, there was some front end damage and i replaced the doors for the driver and rear passenger as well as the front and rear bumpers. The garage that looked at vehicle now suggets that i take to the dealer as he cannot find fault with it. I have heard of sending units going bad in quick succesion but thionk that it must be something elase and i am not even sure that the first one was truly broken. any at this stage I am all out if ideas. There are a few codes that appear top refer to 02 and lean banks, nothing that I seem to be able to saw this is it .
JA: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?
Customer: The tank was last filled about a week before the no start arose and i cannot small gas in and around the engine
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried to find bad grounds gave the tank a good thump ,,,nothing appears to help, and yes i would like to try fix it myself
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: 265000km sometimes has a small stutter and threw a p0135 code before it all stopped.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

so right now when cranking it over there is no fuel pressure at all ?

if not do you have a multi meter on hand ?

also in the under hood fuse box with your fingers on the fuel pump relay when the ignition key is turned ON after the key has been off for over 3 minutes do you feel that relay click with your fingers at all it should click on then off after 2 seconds with the key ON to prime the fuel system

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do have a multimeter. There is no pressure for the fuel at all . I also have an autel maxi diag elite scanner.
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

do you feel that relay click with your fingers like i said to try ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Going to have to pick this tomorrow when I can get to the vehicle .it is currently not at home
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

ok let me know

Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

how are you making out ?

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok made it back to the vehicle I do feel the relay click when the ignition is on
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

can you test and see if the grey wire at the fuel pump when cranking it over ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
now have developed a no crank as well starting to the think that it's the ignition switch
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

it could very well be

can you try a new ignition switch and see if it will crank over ?

do you feel the crank or starter relay click with your fingers when the key is held to the crank position ?