AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 2000 Chevy Impala 3.8. Problem when I go to start

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Chevy Impala 3.8. Problem when I go to start the car it will not start it just clicks and you can hear the click at the relay in the fuse box on the driver side. The last owner installed an after market car alarm system in the car. I replaced the ignition lock not the ignition lock housing. No change turn the key click sound fuse box area. I took the car to the Chevy dealership they want $700.00 to trouble shoot to see if they can fix it. Any Ideas.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Your first step is to check the starting circuit to see where you are losing voltage. It could be a bad starter, electrical part of the ignition switch, blown fuse or fusible link, bad connection or even something related to the aftermarket alarm system depending on how it is wired into the vehicle. On this vehicle the PCM grounds or activates the starter relay so it could be something with the PCM as well. Your best bet would be to remoe the starter relay and check for two powers and one ground on the female pins (that the relay plugs into) when the key is turned to the CRANK position. You will need an assistant to help with this. Here is a wiring diagram of the starting circuit.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!