sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe. In the summer time after the car

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe. In the summer time after the car runs for 10 to 20 minutes with the a/c on, the passenger side gets hot. I replaces The one blend? door actuator motor that is deep in the middle of the dashboard. Hope you know which one I'm talking about as its a pain to get to and no room to work on. This did not fix the problem as it still gets hot just on the passenger side with a/c on, any ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

i think you may have replaced the wrong actuator..

from the way you explain,,it sounds as if your problem is the left temeture door actuator

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bf6cg8p81r1hknh/0803-tahoe-REMOVAL%20PROCEDURE.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/bf6cg8p81r1hknh/0803-tahoe-REMOVAL%20PROCEDURE.doc?dl=0

.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where is this behind the dash? Passenger side drivers side? Can't tell from the pics?

it is under tha dash on the left[drivers] side

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I did a little tinkering tonight when I got home from work. I turned the air on and messed with the controls a little bit. I found the actuator under the dash on the left side controlled where the air went, floorboards, defrost or vents. When that one changed it didn't change temp at all?

one of those is the mode actuator,,the other is the temperature door..

if the tempeture doesnt change when moving the temp door,i would think the door itself is damaged and not selecting

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are they both in the same area?

i will give you pictures

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7vu9uadli07i3dj/0805-tahoe-Air%20Temperature%20Sensor.doc?dl=0

.

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/7vu9uadli07i3dj/0805-tahoe-Air%20Temperature%20Sensor.doc?dl=0

.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok so according to the pictures the right actuator is the one I replaced, is it the one that controls the passenger side temps?

yes,,the right tempeture actuator,, does the right side..

be sure to calibrate the actuators per the instructions i gave you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
if I am having problems with the passenger side why did you tell me to replace the left actuator?

sorry,i did say left..very sorry,,i did mean the right..so sorry.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok well I did replace that one already.

again,,very sorry,,for some reason i was thinking drivers side

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Its ok no big deal, just want to know where to go from here, as I have already replaced that one.

if it is working[the actuator] then i would think the air door itself is broken or not moving for some reason..

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I know the actuator does move because it starts out cold when the a/c is on but after driving around awhile just the passenger side starts blowing hot air. the drivers side stays cold.

ok.

lets see if one of the other guys has a better idea of what is going on here..

please stand by,someone will be right with you

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
okay
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do.

If you remove the actuator and move the door by hand when the problem is happening are you able to control temperature correctly?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Don't know, I have not tried that. When I had the whole dash apart I tried to get it to act up to see if that actuator moved or not but it is such a random problem i couldn't re create it when I had it all apart.

You either have a blend door issue or a basic a/c system issue. The best way to differentiate is by moving the door by hand to see what happens as I described.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What controls the actuators on the drivers side vs. the passenger side? could it be a sensor problem or a controller issue not the actuator its self?

It could only be a sensor issue if the problem was only happening on dual zone auto control.

If the actuator has been replaced then it's not the issue, it has to be a control head issue or an a/c system problem.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is a dual zone control. In the summer with the a/c on, both sides will be cold for the first 20 minutes or so. Then just the passenger side will go full on hot, not just warm but hot. The drivers side stays cold the whole time.

If it's actually going to full hot then you most likely have a blend door issue rather than an a/c performance problem.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I agree any ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem?

As I mentioned the first step is to see what the door is doing at the time the problem is happening.