Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

I have a 99 chevy suburban 1500 and my oil pressure gets

Customer Question

I have a 99 chevy suburban 1500 and my oil pressure gets really low when I stop at a light or something but has normal pressure while driving. Engine runs great still except for that
JA: Have you checked the oil? How old is your oil pump?
Customer: Oil pump has never been changed and this would be the first time anything like this has popped up
JA: What year is your Suburban 1500?
Customer: 1999
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes we are planning to fix it ourselves and I don't know what else to check
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I've purchased a higher pressure oil pump that makes 25% more oil pressure than the basic oil pump to put in it and I also need to know what you recommend on how to change it mayself? Is there anything else I needed to know to check for or look out for?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Replacing the Oil Pump is quite the job. Before condemning the Oil Pump as the root of the problem here, I would strongly recommend a few other things to look into first. As long as there are no unusual engine noises like knocking or ticking when the oil pressure drops, this could just be a problem of a failing Oil Pressure Sensor. These are common fail items. Over time, the internal resistance wears, and the sensor has a hard time reading oil pressure when not under load (like at a stop sign). I would highly recommend that an "actual" oil pressure reading be taken with the use of an Oil Pressure Tester Gauge. If the oil pressure is within specs, inspect the electrical connector and wire harness to the oil pressure sensor for any loose, broken, damaged or oil-soaked wires. If the visual inspection check ok, replace the pressure sensor. The sensor is located on the top, rear of the driver's side of the engine. If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

If there are any other questions you have on this, or you'd like an image showing sensor location or repair manual procedure to replace the sensor... please feel free to reply and ask!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

I can provide the procedure to replace the Oil Pump, if that's what you're truly looking for... but again, I'd strongly recommend the items above be done first. Let me know.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see how you made out with this? Did you have any other questions? Was there something I missed that you wanted addressed? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

..