Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

I have a 2016 Impala I have had it for JUST a month. My

Customer Question

I have a 2016 Impala I have had it for JUST a month. My odometer is showing 5000 miles as a salesman I have to keep gas receipts and I just did not drive 5000mi. If I figured 30mpg my gas gallons would only be around 3300. That is closer to the normal range of 2800-3500 per month Is there any history with electronic odometers not being accurate
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.

The odometer runs off of what the speedometer says.If your gauge/speedometer is off or an internal electrical fault in the instrument cluster this will cause higher mileage readings.A failing vehicle speed sensor can also cause this but you would see a check engine light and traction or abs lights on the dash if this was the cause as the vehicle speed sensor data wouldn't match the wheel speed sensor data.

I havent seen this as an issue on this model here but it is possible the instrument cluster has a fault internally needing repaired or replaced.I would have this checked over under warranty at a GM dealer to see if this needs repaired or replaced.They will have to check the speedometer signal against another vehicle to see if it matches as well as make sure the odometer is registering properly for every mile driven.If a fault is found they will correct it at no charge to you.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.A 5 star rating is appreciated.

Thanks Pete