Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Testing a Pickup coil 7.4 litre engine 1996? This pickup

Customer Question

Testing a Pickup coil 7.4 litre engine 1996? This pickup coil is kind of shaped like the letter T
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 9 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

is this a vortec engine or is it a tbi engine?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Vortec

ok..

you are wanting to test the cam sensor?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, I'm wanting to test the Pickup coil inside the distributor base, shaped like the letter T .
Duralast (Wells ) brand Autozone Part Number DR188, I can call their tech line during normal business hours tomorrow if your not familiar.

the cam sensor in the distributer doesnt have anything to do with the spark on this engine

The Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor is located within the distributor. It's operation is very similar to the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor however it will provide one pulse per camshaft revolution (1x signal). This signal is not detrimental to the driveability of the vehicle. The Vehicle Control Module (VCM) utilizes this signal in conjunction with the crankshaft position to determine which cylinder(s) are misfiring.

this engine has a crank sensor

so,,you dont have a spark at all on the plug wires?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Autozone calls this T shaped unit, a Pickup coil,and I was told this pickup coil sends a pulse to the module which feeds the coil then the distributor to the plugs. No spark at any of the plugs

it is a pick-up on the 95 and older tbi engine,,but not on this one

so,,you have no spark at all on the plug wires?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
correct

autozone sells parts..lol..i wil help you determine your problem

ok,,do you have a spark on the coil wire that connects to the cap?do you have a spark out of the coil?

are you there?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When the resistance matched the testing procedure for primary and secondary and module the same, I moved onto the pickup coil, that's why I wanted to know how to test this three conductor T shaped pick up coil. I'll probably have to apply heat to the pickup coil when I test it tomorrow

it will have a spark even if it were bad,,it has nothing to do with the drivability of the engine

does it have a spark on the coil wire?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do you think a pickup coil and a crank sensor are the same?

no,,they are not the same

do you have a spark out of the coil?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will have to continue this in a day or two as I will call the manufacturer tomorrow about my questions based on what I was told at autozone today. I have to retire for the evening, to be continued Thank You.

understand,,i know how this ignition system works..i would be glad to help you

i also have tests you can do to determine your problem

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, later

but,your problem is not the cam/pick-up on this engine

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lap3w688fnoftwv/0801-454-Enhanced%20Ignition%20System%20testing.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/lap3w688fnoftwv/0801-454-Enhanced%20Ignition%20System%20testing.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help