Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I replaced the ignition switch on my husbands 2005 ssr. I

Customer Question

I replaced the ignition switch on my husbands 2005 ssr. I put key in run position and matched teeth placement of old ignition switch.After replacement the key would not turn so I dropped the ignition switch down and turned the key to make sure I had key in run. Now I have misaligned ignition switch with lock cylinder. Wish I would have known not to touch key during install! If I purchase a new lock cylinder will it only go in the correct position or will it still be misaligned?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

you should be able to pop down that ignition switch and turn the switch wheel by hand and try a few combinations and it should be aligned

i personally turn the ignition key to run position then turn the switch wheel until the dash lights are lit up then slide the switch into place should align the teeth correctly

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Getting new battery and lock cylinder right now. Was told to disconnect before installing new switch. Because switch was misaligned the battery drained (was due to be replaced). When I had new switch installed I could turn key to acc- run- start however I could not get key to come back to off position (line aligned with seam on steering wheel cover) without pushing key release button next to cylinder. Also when first trying to turn key it wants to hold up. Have to jiggle to get engaged so I planned on replacing lock cylinder at same time.
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

ok put the new lock in align it to the switch and see if you can get the timing of the gears correct

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. New lock cylinder installed. Hooked up battery. Put key in run position. Removed switch. Changed wheel on switch just until dash lights came on. Not warning lights etc. Replaced switch. Try to on. Clicks like bad starter. Will not turn over. Cannot return key to off position without depressing key release button next to cylinder.
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

can you connect a jump start or remove and charge the battery ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just installed a brand new battery.