Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

I have a 2009 silverado that the right rear wheel speed

Customer Question

I have a 2009 silverado that the right rear wheel speed sensor is showing in the code but it was replaced. I also have abs light, brake light, and stabiatrac lights on on my dash.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: which fuse would be related to that?
JA: What is the model of your '09 Chevy?
Customer: Silverado
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, I've replaced the right rear wheel speed sensor
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Do you have the exact code number so that I can look it up?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't I had advance auto read it and look it up. It came up as a right rear wheel speed sensor
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
C0050 - I believe
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.
  • Physical damage
  • Debris on the wheel speed sensor or the encoder ring
  • Loose or improperly mounted sensor
  • Loose or worn wheel bearing
  • Air gap between the wheel speed sensor and the encoder ring too large
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Circuit/System Description

The wheel speed sensor (WSS) receives ignition voltage from the electronic brake control module (EBCM) and provides a DC square wave signal back to the module. As the wheel spins, the EBCM uses the frequency of the square wave signal to calculate the wheel speed.

Conditions for Running the DTC

C0035 00-C0050 00

• Ignition ON.
  • Ignition voltage is greater than 9.5 volts.

C0035 5A-C0050 5A

• Ignition ON.
  • The brake pedal is not pressed.
  • A DTC is not set for the other wheel speed sensor on the same axle.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

C0035 00-C0050 00

• A short to ground, or an open/high resistance is detected on the wheel speed sensor 12-volt reference circuit.
  • A short to voltage, short to ground or an open/high resistance is detected on the signal circuit.
  • Wheel speed sensor power supply is less than 7.6 volts.
  • A missing wheel speed sensor signal

C0035 5A-C0050 5A

An erratic signal output of the wheel speed sensor is detected.

Actions Taken when the DTC Sets

• The EBCM disables the antilock brake system (ABS)/traction control system (TCS) and vehicle stability enhancement system (VSES) for the duration of the ignition cycle.
  • The ABS indicator illuminates.
  • The StabiliTrak indicator illuminates.
  • The EBCM disables the voltage to the wheel speed sensor the fault is detected on.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

• A current DTC clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
  • A history DTC clears after 100 consecutive ignition cycles, if no failures are reported by this diagnostic.

Diagnostic Aids

• Inspect the back of the wheel bearing on the encoder surface for metal debris that could cause an erratic reading with the sensor. Do not use a magnet to clean the debris, or damage to the encoder ring may occur.
  • If 2 or more wheel speed sensors are inoperative diagnose each wheel speed sensor individually.
  • An ECE 13 response may be required, after repairs are made, and DTCs are cleared, operate the vehicle at speeds greater than 15 km/h (10 mph) to complete the self test, and the EBCM will turn off the ABS indicator.

If the customer comments that the ABS indicator is ON only during moist environmental conditions: rain, snow, vehicle wash, etc., inspect the wheel speed sensor wiring for signs of water intrusion. If the DTC is not current, clear all DTCs and simulate the effects of water intrusion by using the following procedure:

1. Spray the suspected area with a 5 percent saltwater solution. To create a 5 percent saltwater solution, add 2 teaspoons of salt to 8 fl oz. of water (10 g of salt to 200 ml of water).
  2. Test drive the vehicle over various road surfaces: bumps, turns, etc., above 40 km/h (25 mph) for at least 30 seconds.
  3. Rinse the area thoroughly when completed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Would it be the same tests for these codes?
DTC C0050 00
Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor CircuitDTC C0050 5A
Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Plausibility Failure
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Those are different codes. Same tests.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I found a break in the wiring going to the wheel speed sensor set up. I repaired the wiring and unhooked the negative battery terminal for a few minutes and the lights are still on my dash. Is this a code I need a code reader to clear?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Unhook both battery cables and hold them together for 15 minutes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I went to Auto zone this evening to try and clear the codes. The code reader wouldn't communicate with the ABS system but would read the other functions. I did some digging online and saw that with the abs light, traction control and parking brake on plus the none communicate issues with the reader that I am leaning toward the brake control module.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

It is possible, I do not know how much I trust the scan tool at autozone vs the gm tech 2.

Have you check ALL fuses?

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

A blown fuse will cause a no communication problem.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I checked the fuses and they are all fine
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

I would check power and grounds of the brake control module.