Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have a 1996 chevy silverado 5.7 engine. The truck will not

Customer Question

I have a 1996 chevy silverado 5.7 engine. The truck will not start unless I pour gas in the throttle body. After the gas burns off, the truck shuts off. Can you help me?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

has the fuel pressure been tested with a fuel pressure gauge on the test port on the fuel line drivers side rear next to the distributor ?

was it reading 60 psi and holding key ON engine OFF ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it read around 55
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

if you unplug the big connector at the fuel injector with the key ON do 8 of the terminals in the connector you unplugged show 12 volts ? if so then connect a test light with the test light clip to positive battery power and see if the other 8 will blink your test light bulb when cranking it over

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did not try that. I changed the spider injector, ignition module, crank shaft sensor and pick up coil and it still would not start.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
after I do what you suggested in terms of unplugging the big connector, what would that mean if the other 8 did or did not blink?
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

lets see if we have an injector pulse

since you have 55 at the test point key ON engine OFF it should be enough fuel pressure to run the engine

if the other 8 do NOT blink then the theft system is activated which is usually a bad ignition lock cylinder case pass lock sensor shutting off the fuel or the computer is bad if you have spark which you do when cranking it over since it will run on added fuel

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok, will try that first
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

sounds good let me know