Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

1997 tahoe LT Z71 6.5 diesel 208,000 miles, I recently

Customer Question

1997 tahoe LT Z71 6.5 diesel 208,000 miles, I recently purchased this truck.
Has several oil leaks, since this is a older truck w/ high miles I was planning on changing any seals or gaskets that may be cauing oil leaks under the engine. I am pretty sure the front main seal and oil pan gasket need changing.
Had transmission rebuilt and rear main seal changed at that time.
What are the most common oil leaks for this engine and if I need to replace parts, what are the part numbers? I am just planning on changing most common failures since I want to keep the truck for a while.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

You will want to have the engine fully checked over for the leaks.I have seen oil cooler hoses leak,oil pan,and valve covers as the most common as well as turbo leaks.You can have it cleaned off then add oil and run the engine to locate all of the leaks for repair or add engine oil dye to the oil and run it until the leaks start and check the leaks with a leak tracer light.Unfortunately I do not list any part numbers for some of these components on an older model like this here.This may be something you would need to obtain the part numbers from a dealer or local parts store.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am gonna change front main seal and oil pan gasket, as that appears to be source of leaks, can I get instructions to do these, thanks