GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

My 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 6 cylinder shut down the other

Customer Question

My 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 6 cylinder shut down the other day. I tried to restart and it tried to start but wouldn't turn over. So, the oil pressure reads " 0" . So, I went and purchased a oil pressure sensor, and everything needed for a complete oil change. I checked some videos and everyone seemed to be able to turn their trucks on even with a zero reading. But mine will not start.
I was told I probably need a distributor cap, because the truck was trying to start but wasn't getting the spark or whatever u call.it from the cap to make it turn over and come on.
And for the zero oil pressure reading I would need to replace the oil pump . I don't know. I'm not rich, I'm just a woman, by myself, and I have no family left to help me in this world. So I don't k ow who to ask or where to turn. I cannot afford to just "take it to a mechanic"... I've been basically relying on different opinions and advice from strangers....so I don't know who to trust or what to do. If I could find out what it is, I will get my hands dirty and fix it myself. I have a Jack, and some wrenches via e grips....stuff like that...so I know I could figure it out. I just need honest help and to be pointed in the right direction as to what is REALLY WRONG, so I can try to replace and fix it.
JA: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?
Customer: Not sure, oil pump has not been changed since I bought it 5 years ago. Yes, the engine light did come on. And trust know would NOT START.
JA: What is the model of your '06 Chevy?
Customer: 2006 Silverado 6 cylinder
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, hope to fix it myself. Nothing yet. Just bought oil pressure sensor, and oil filter, and 6 quarts of oil.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Yes, need to know if I should get a distributor cap and an oil pump too.....Truck tries hard to start...very powerful ...but it won't turn over and come on. I opened up the house thing under the hood and tried to spray that starter fluid in it, and it still wouldn't start. And so, they were saying it's ur distributor cap too...so I don't know...I feel so frustrated....and alone. I just need real answers and real help.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 4 months ago.

does it have spark? is it getting fuel?