Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

I have a 199 corvette tmperature stoped working replaced the

Customer Question

i have a 199 corvette tmperature stoped working replaced the sensor still dosent work oil temp works ok
JA: Have you checked the connectors on the sensor itself? It's important that they not be loose or corroded.
Customer: the sending unit that i have dosent have a wire going to it
JA: What year is your Corvette?
Customer: 1990
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just replaced the 1 sensor
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: it stoped working after i replaced the plugs and spark plug wires
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is this the coolant or engine temp gauge that quit working?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Engine temp
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Did the engine coolant temp sensor you replaced have a dark green single wire on it at all?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It has no wire going to it
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

O.k.,the engine coolant temp sensor for the gauge on the instrument cluster has a green wire attached to it.Here is a diagram on this here.Part number from GM for this sensor is 15326386.

This sensor is either located on the side of the drivers side or passenger side cylinder head near the exhaust manifold or is located on the intake manifold.You will want to locate this specific sensor and replace it and see if this resolves the issue.Inspect this green wire for any damage needing repaired or replaced.If the sensor is replaced and wiring is all o.k. then the fault is in the instrument cluster itself with the instrument cluster needing replaced to correct this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete