Edgar
Edgar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  22 years General Motors Technician, ASE Master Tech certified
71268010

I just replaced the bushing connecting the shift cable to

Customer Question

I just replaced the bushing connecting the shift cable to the lever on an 03 Trailblazer. While working on it, something popped and the rubber boot on the end of the cable now floats free. It shifts fine in every gear now except it will not go into park. Whenever I try and put it in park, the shift lever freezes and it acts as though it is in reverse. When I reach under the Trailblazer, it feels as though the cable is kinked. I push on it and then it will shift into park and be fine until the next time it is put into Park.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: The transmission is about 3 years old. I haven't checked the brake switch because I can feel and see the cable kink.
JA: What year is your TrailBlazer?
Customer: 2003
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to fix it myself but I'm not sure where to start. This just happened this morning. I replaced the bushing and now it doesn't shift properly. It will shift properly if it isn't running and the shifter is moved slowly, but it doesn't seem to go into Park properly if it is running.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The rubber boot on the end of the cable is floating free now and the cable went from being fairly close to the pan to almost dangling free while I was working on getting the bushing seated. It looks and feels as though the shift cable kinks now when it is shifted into park.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Edgar replied 5 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today,try to adjust the cable first, under the vehicle where the cable snap on the bracket is an adjustment, pull the clip which it could be black or white color, pull that clip until you see that the cable is loose and you can move it in and out or front and back then shift the shifter to neutral and under the vehicle put the transmission in neutral the cable is going to move to the neutral position, make sure that both the shifter and the transmission and in neutral the push the clip on the cable and you're done, if this steps don't work then the cable need to be replace