Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Have a 98 cavalier when the temp out side is below 60F it

Customer Question

have a 98 cavalier when the temp out side is below 60F it the dash lights flicker for 5 to 10 mins and then go solid and the car will start with out dying at tepms below 40 it will not start. the anti theft light is always solid.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: yes and they are all good
JA: What year is your Cavalier?
Customer: 98
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes . i have taken the dash apart and cleaned all the connections and the fuses then reconnected the plugs and pushed the connectors to get her with a pin
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: replaced the negative battery terminals due to corrosion
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Roy Scarlett replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I would like to assist you with your problem. Did it start after you changed the signal bulb?

I'm sorry I did not want to answer your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** common problem causing theft light to come on is a failed ignition lock cylinder/passlock sensor. To know for sure you will want to monitor power/ground on the 3 wires connected to lock cylinder. If power/ground are good but yellow wire has different reading during problem this verifies lock cylinder as the problem. This would be around $250 to have replaced at a shop or $100 for part if you do it yourself. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
recently replaced the ignition lock cyclinder/passlock sensor.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
didn't have to replace the signal bulb sorry roy
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

The passlock sensor sends signal to instrument cluster so if wiring is checking out then it sounds like instrument cluster is the problem. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
have taken the cluster out and had the internals checked by a electrician
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

If problem is temp related they would have had to do the testing with temp under 40 degrees.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

But if that tests out good then next step is having a scantool capable of checking diagnostic codes is security system connected during problem and going from there. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thanks dan
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

No problem, let me know how it turns out. Thanks again and have a good night!