Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have 2008 Malibu 4 cylinder that is having a weird

Customer Question

I have 2008 Malibu 4 cylinder that is having a weird electrical (?) problem. At various times the temperature gauge will not function. Wjen this happens the air conditioner will not work. Any suggestionsl
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 4 months ago.

HI,

The most likely issue is a fault in the ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor. This sensor sends a signal to the temperature gage as well as used for operation of the engine cooling fan. If the fan cuts out due to loss of this signal, the pressure in the ac condenser rapidly rises and the ac pressure switch immediately cuts off the compressor so it is not damaged. This results in no cold air from the ac.

This may be an internal fault in the sensor, loose wiring, loose connector, or chafed wire intermittently shorting.

The ECT sensor is located on the back side of the engine - see attached

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 4 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.