Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

12/2005 C4500 6.6l duramax P0087 and P0230 codes active.

Customer Question

12/2005 C4500 6.6l duramax P0087 and P0230 codes active. Complaint : shutting down , low power and sometimes will not attain over 30 mph...
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: The shutting down has been resolved, low coolant caused by leaking oil cooler gasket...Unit had a host of codes listed from previous repairs, cleared all and road tested after coolant leak repair...Unit runs good for a couple miles, check engine light appears , goes into hope I make home mode, P0087 and P0230 are active....Clear codes, KOEO ...P0087 is active key on.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: All info in original
JA: What year is your Chevy?
Customer: Hellooo
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Read
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Read
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Code P0087 indicates fuel rail pressure to low

Code P0230 indicates a fuel pump circuit code.This model doesnt use a fuel pump but uses a fuel injection pump.

The codes here indicate a loss of fuel.This can be due to a fault with one or more injectors allowing to much fuel through the return or into the cylinder which is very common on this model as injector issues were a problem on this engine with the affected injectors needing replaced.I have also seen issues with the fuel filter and injection pump and in some cases a faulty fuel rail pressure sensor needing replaced.

All of these will need tested to pinpoint which component is the cause here and then from there that component replaced to correct this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I understand what the codes first I started to chase the p0230 code then determined the C4500 uses that relay for transfer pump between tank, thus p0230 should not cause a driveability issue....I will solve the p0230 code after solving the low fuel pressure...
I will need a wiring diagram for p0230 of right now it appears, with key I have about 6 volts to fuel relay 30 connector, when I command fuel relay on with solus I get full 12 volts.....Unplugging ignition "B" relay turns the 6 volt supply to 30 connector off....I will keep this open until repair of both codes, my all data gives me no c4500 info...Do not want to chase ghosts with the wrong wiring info....
Standard 6.6l low fuel pressure troubleshooting should be the same as medium duty info I have....hopefully this low fuel is just a fuel filter issue... Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately I do not have the complete diagram on this model as well here,this can be tough to come by except from a dealer as this usually isnt available to the public.If you would like I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If you would relist...I need the info for c4500 wiring...I originally was listing to talk with "Cam"...he must be on vacation or something
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

No problem.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

i have your wire diagrams.

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** update once I get back into shop.....On road and my mobile doesn't open them correctly....
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 months ago.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Something wrong with file . They open, but the diagrams are blurry..

try to save the diagrams ato your computer and open with your program

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Tried that already, even opened in print mode to view.. The diagrams are blurred..

strange,,they look fine here..

do you want me to opt out?,,maybe someone else here will have them.

[if i opt out the diagrams i gave you wont be available]

let me know

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Your choice, read my comments you should be able to identify the wire numbers and colors that I will need to chase....

stand by.

someone will be right with you