Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

I have a 2010 Chevy Suburban. Recently purchased a horse

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Chevy Suburban. Recently purchased a horse trailer. I need to confirm I whether I have the ITBC installed, and if not, then I need to figure out what/how to install it or something compatible. Thanks!
JA: What is the model of your '10 Chevy?
Customer: K10906
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I know a guy who is a mobile mechanic in our area. He's great, but he has never installed a brake package. I'm embarrassed to admit I know next to nothing about cars. And now I'm trying to figure out this trailer thing.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The hitch was factory installed so you'd think the ITBC would have been, as well, but I don't think so.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 months ago.

Hello, what series truck? what engine? 4x4 or 2Wd?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello!
FuelFlex
Has optional 4WD
Also wonder which after market brake package might be compatible? We are not under warranty so doesn't need to be factory-installed for that reason.

checking some things

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No problem. Appreciate it.

ok, first if you have a factory Brake control. you will have the switch on lower left of the dash, if no switch? no ITBC, so,, you have to go aftermarket, I can not tell you what unit to buy, there are so many different ones, I personally have a Tekonsha control unit, They are really good, I suggest going to the www.etrailer.com site and looking at controllers, I think they rate them there as well. Instructions are then followed on how to hook it up but,, there was a change which in a way makes hookup easier, I have included a link to t hat file showing aftermarket install information. BTW: Reese is another good unit

Here is another file about aftermarket install

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks very much! I am looking at it all, but there is a thunderstorm passing through & electricity is flickering in case we get cut off.

ok, I sent as much information as I can, this will help the person install the controller of your choice, They all do about the same, Go to etrailer.com for info on controllers, The controller will have hookup directions and the files show a little better how to hook yo your truck. It should all go ok, Please leave feedback for my service provided today, Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The Tekonsha looks great! Thx! Not sure if it's ok to ask this, but I was given anti-sway/stabilizer bars with the trailer, but I don't see where I can attach them to the Suburban. The entire are, except the hitch and plus for the trailer electric connection is covered by the plastic bumper. Where should I be looking for a ring or similar to attach the bars?

I cant answer that, It all depends on style and brand, In my case? I have a weight distributon as well as stabilizer control and that requires a special hitch to go into the receiver. if you new model and brand? I may? be able to find something but otherwise I can not help as just too many different models

mine looks similar to this picture link

do you still need help with this?