sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Y I've got a 01 chevy Silverado extended cab z71ive had it 8

Customer Question

y I've got a 01 chevy Silverado extended cab z71ive had it for about 8 months as soon as I bought it realized it burned way too much fuel took to shop an was told knock sensor an o2 sensors need replacement as well as previous owner bored out both cats an put back on idk if that could add to the lose of power an fuel incre uased use. But now she's been parked one morning going to work I started her up like I do every morning sat fir a moment then put truck into reverse an nothing then i went threw all gears an nothing happend. Sat fir a second tried it again and when I put in revers this time I mashed gas an it jerked me hard as crap an same in drive maybe heard a lil humming noise and vibration when I got on the road it seems to have quit well I got off the interstate an I heard a loud chain noise it sounded just like a big metal chain dragging on the pavement an then she would vary go at all when I mashed gas basically Fred Flintstones it to parking spot an then she wouldn't even lock into park or any gear for that matter any more well I had it towed an when I went out to test it again it was locking in yo all gears like normal an seemed fine just for a second one the road then I heard outta. No were that same chain noise an I want to say it only d does it during shift changing an if I raise rpms it will quit in out but soon as it wants to shift or I'm starting to go from stop the noise starts again I barely made it home if I drove her about 32 miles an hour it didn't make any noise till like I say it time for gear change
Category: Chevy
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if you may have a rear differential problem but it could be a mechanical failure in the transmission. If the truck was still able to move when in park then the failure had to be somewhere after the park sprag, which really leaves only transfer case,driveshaft splines, and the rear differential.

Are you able to tell what area the noise is coming from?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No after first time coming off interstate from 85 mph top 0 then trying to accelerate was the loudest time it's made the noise an I had to keep mashing gash to floor an releasing it an basically looked like the truck had front hydraulics it jerked so hard trying to keep it moveing to get it into parking spot an tgats the only time I could get it to lock into park an my tow truck driver said he had to manually unlocked something an get it back into gear an when he brought it home it reacted normal to all gears I out it in in the yard an didn't make noise again till after about 2 miles down road about 50 miles an hour an then I'm pretty sure it did it every time it needed to shift an I could get it to stop if I kept her going no faster then 35 mph an when I finally got to drive wat an started to turn it started the noise again an all they way down drive way till I put it back in park an it reacted normally again an locked into park. I'm very lost in wat to do an were to go fir help with problem dont want to spend about a thousand dollars on the compleat opposite thing that has nothing to do with my problem you know

Is it four wheel drive?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yea push button on dash board
Does putting it in four wheel drive change anything?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Haven't tried in sacred it will make that loud grinding noises an get stuck I've usedy four wheel drive about a month ago an it reacted normal
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
To describe the noise better it almost sounds like when you're trying to shift gears in a manual transmission truck and you're not pushing in the clutch that grinding noise that that makes is almost the same sound my trucks making around gear change time and like I said after that it quiets down but from take off it's bad and every time it's time to switch gears it's bad
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think there is some kind of shift module in the transfer case I'm not sure but looking online they are chain driven

Seeing if anything changes in four wheel drive will give a better idea of whether the problem is in the transfer case or rear differential. If it still moves in four wheel drive and will lock in park then you most likely have an issue in the rear differential and would rule out a transmission problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
if it still lock in 4 hi or 4 low witch one would be better to try 4 low so I can feel lit pulling harder an if it does it's rear end
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Any if it's case or tranny it will lock up an not be able to move or get in 2w again

Try driving it in four high and see what happens.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will do I'm in Sc an it's 1220 here now and I'm at work fir about 2.5 hours an I'll let you know when I get home what ever it is I hope it's the cheapest one to have fixed an maybe something me an my brother could try to attempt

Sounds great. Let me know how it goes!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sir glad to have your help is there anny way I could give you my email or number to talk to u right away when I get to my house***@******.*** or 1-***-***-**** if that's even possible it would be awesome to figure out were I need to go an get this handled today

I'm unable to give personal contact information but you can always reply here and I will receive notification.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well I just got home to try it in four wheel I guessing it's not rear end but now I need to know if it's transfer case or tranny? I cranked my truck up an went to put it in reverse an it started whining and grinding won't move at all now
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can definitely tell them noise is right were transfer case an trannys is at

With the trans in park and engine off are you able to push the truck?