Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 1994 S10 2.2. I have a mail route and do a lot of

Customer Question

I have a 1994 S10 2.2. I have a mail route and do a lot of stop and go driving from mailbox to mailbox.
On hot days, After driving stop and go for 10 to 15min, or being parked idle for 5min, when i give it gas, I have a loss of power almost like it wants to kill. often the power comes back but when it doesn't right away, I have to drive at a decent speed without stopping to clear it up. I often make the block and then pickup on my route where i left off. then the cycle repeats itself.
Recently, it killed while on the route and wouldnt start back up. i had it towed and it started up 2 hours later.
The mech at the shop said the throttle body was dirty. they cleaned it and it seems to run a lil better but the problem still exists
I noticed on cooler days I didnt have that problem as often, if at all.
I commute 27 miles to work with no issues. its only with the consistent stop and go that gives me trouble.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** it starts acting up does it run rough at idle or idle fine? Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
rough idle, thats how i know when its about to happen
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

It sounds like you have a failing fuel pump. You can buy a fuel pressure gauge from parts store for about $20 then next time problem happens connect the gauge to see if it is lower then normal, if so replace. Most other things would not be intermittent and would turn on check engine light. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sometimes it'll happen immediately when I pull off or going into 2nd gear. it sputters
where do i connect the gauge?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

It is #20 in following picture. Some other things that come to mind is clogged catalytic converter or sticking EGR. You can unplug EGR valve to see if that helps, if so replace. You can also remove front oxygen sensor to relieve exhaust pressure, if it runs better with oxygen sensor removed you know problem is a clogged converter. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/on9vbggvlhlucxo/20.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
last question, Where is the EGR Valve? thank you
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Here is a picture, let me know if you run into more questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9mx7urfvtuva51/egrvs.pdf?dl=0