Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

I have a 2006 chevrolet 2500 express van 4.8. There is a 40

Customer Question

I have a 2006 chevrolet 2500 express van 4.8 . There is a 40 amp fuse that blows off and on for the past year. ING (A) fuse number 49 that I have had a new batteryHad to have it towed several times to a couple different mechanic shops. Most of the time they say they could not find anything wrong. Check it with there computers and still keeps blowing fuse.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Clayso replied 4 months ago.

Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description to pop a 40 amp fuse basically takes a direct short to ground. Fuse #49 goes directly to the starter relay in the underhood fuse box. Fuse #49 also goes to connector C200 under the steering column then to the ignition switch. There is no mention if anyone looked under the underhood fuse box for any corrosion build up on this affected circuit CKT 142 as seen in the link below.

Fuse 49 Circuit 142

The underhood fuse box being above the front tire it's possible for anything coming up from the tire and getting into the bottom of the fuse block. Let me know if fuse 49 pops during cranking or operating the vehicle.

Also make sure you're not using a bulk pack of fuses from Harbor Freight. GM issued a service bulletin several years ago concerning these fuses that they are inferior and will not pop at the specified ratings.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.