Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I can lock my doors from the inside but I can not unlock

Customer Question

I can lock my doors from the inside but I can not unlock from the outside. Is there a separate key to unlock the doors apposed to the key for the ignition?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?
Customer: 150,000. I don't know if it has happened before because I had just bought the truck from an auction about 4 weeks ago.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I am hoping to do it myself. and I haven't really tried much I just was looking into it to see what others had said. and about it maybe e having a different key, because I only received the one key when the vehicle was purchased.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no just that problem.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

The most likely cause of this is that someone changed out the ignition tumbler but didn't re-key the door locks to match the new ignition tumbler. That means the key that you use to start it doesn't match the door. We see this a lot on auction cars. If the truck was ever stolen or repossessed chances are the original ignition and door key was lost. To make the truck driveable the ignition tumbler was changed out.

You can attempt to re-key the door locks to match the ignition but it can be a little tricky if you don't have some basic locksmithing skills.

Do you want to attempt it?

Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

Here is a good video showing how to re-key door lock cylinders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX2AH9-isPA