Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2015 Chevy 2500HD. When I pull my camper the

Customer Question

I have a 2015 Chevy 2500HD. When I pull my camper the display says "check trailer wire" and as soon as it goes away it says " trailer connected". When I hook it up to another 2015 Chevy 2500HD it doesn't do it. When I hook a brand new camper up to it it still does the same thing. Plus it starts as soon as I get over 55MPH and the truck starts to shake. I took it to Thornton Chevy and they hooked something up to it and all tested good. Any ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 9 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

The issue is on the truck from these tests you have done. Here is what turns on this warning.

Check Trailer Wiring

This message will be displayed if:

• The system detects that a trailer with Electric or Electric Over Hydraulic brakes is connected to the vehicle and then the trailer harness becomes disconnected from the vehicle.
  • The trailer connection is recognized initially and then a disconnect occurs while the vehicle is stationary. This message will automatically turn off in about thirty seconds. This message will also turn off if the driver acknowledges this message off or if the trailer harness is reconnected.
  • A disconnect of the trailer wiring harness occurs while the vehicle is moving. The Check Trailer Wiring message will continue until the ignition is turned off. The message will also turn off if the driver acknowledges this message off or it the trailer harness is re-connected or repairs are completed.
  • There is an electrical fault in the wiring to the electric trailer brakes. The Check Trailer Wiring message will continue as long as there is an electrical fault in the trailer wiring. This message will also turn off if the driver acknowledges this message off.
  • A poor connection at the 7–way connector may cause the Check Trailer Wiring message. Some aftermarket 7–way trailer side connector adapters or plugs may cause deformation or excessive wear to the vehicle’s trailer terminals. It is recommended that you use an OEM or Pollak heavy duty 7–way trailer side connector adapter.

Here is how to diagnose this https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/brakecontrol.pdf

When it is not the trailer to blame I normally find the module to blame or the wires and pins connection on the trucks 7 pin connector to blame.

If you're confused on what to do now or later. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If you're not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you're pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 8 months ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris