sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

My 99 Suburban rt. rear door is closed and locked. Will not

Customer Question

My 99 Suburban rt. rear door is closed and locked. Will not open so I can't remove the panel to replace the actuator. How do I get the door open ?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?
Customer: 190 thousand and no
JA: What is the model of your '188000 Chevy?
Customer: 1999 4 door K1500***** cargo doors
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have a Dorman actuator in hand but cannot get door open to remove panel
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Chevy
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the latch has failed then it's going to be necessary to remove the door panel to get the oor open. the door panel needs to be removed and once it's off then the latch will need to be broke/cut/dismantled until the pawl can be reached to move it manually and open the door.

Although obviously inconvenient you shoudl be able to remove the door panel with the door closed. It's usually possible but in some cases it's necessary to sacrifice the door panel to get the door open, but with this panel that shouldn't be the case. Either way, the door panel has to come off to begin.

The panel should have a screw in the door handle area and the perimeter is held with push-in clips. You'll need to remove the screw and work your way around the panel popping the clips loose. You can start from the top and get the top pulled away and try working through the top with the bottom still in place, or work your way around the whole panel and remove it.