GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 plus years. experience as GM technician, ASE Master Technician and GM Certified.
70078276

Loose gear shift lever

Customer Question

loose gear shift lever
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

please explain..the shifter is loose?

are you there?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The gear shift lever is loose. I got the bottom half of the column cover off and cant get the top cover off because of the ignition switch.

the shift lever should have a little torx scew,,at the bottom

like this

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the top cover does not have to come off?

not if it is just loose at where the screw is,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I cant afford another charge for a phone call, so I will go outside and check.

here is how to remove the covers if you need to

thanks

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pugf61k1avdruh2/0721-astro-ISASSEMBLY%20PROCEDURE.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/pugf61k1avdruh2/0721-astro-ISASSEMBLY%20PROCEDURE.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1999 Astro Van. I needed to tighten the gear shift lever. The bottom cover came off just fine. The top cover is held back by the ignition switch. I needed to know how to remove the top cover to get at the loose lever.

please copy and paste the link,,

i have uploaded the procedure here

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Evidently you don't understand my issue. The gear shift lever on the column is the only thing that needs adjusted. I am disappointed in the response time and the incorrect resolution along with an additional charge if we talk on the phone. I don't have time to go to another mechanic as you suggested. Is this part of the satisfaction guarantee?
Expert:  GM Bob replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is Bob.

Do you still need help?