Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2005 chevy impala back passenger tail light doesn't work but

Customer Question

2005 chevy impala back passenger tail light doesn't work but brake light does. Hazard switch was replaced. Can't find reason why tail light doesn't work?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is*****'m assuming you have replaced bulb. If so then this means the brown wire that goes between brake light and splice 400 is damaged somewhere. I'd start by replacing bulb again and inspecting connector condition. If good you will need to follow the brown wire to find damage. Here is a wiring diagram to help with troubleshooting, let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o335wrb1wppu3ej/wd1.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I changed the bulb twice. How do I properly check connection condition, and how will I know if the wire is damaged?
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

You can use a multimeter to check pin for voltage with headlights on. If meter shows voltage you know it is a connection problem, if not then you know it is a wiring problem. You should be able to visually see the damage. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I looked through the diagram and could not find any brown wires coming from the tailight into the car
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

It is a brown wire with a white stripe, pin A of connector. Here is a connector diagram. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tzg7uqt800l4te6/tlcd.pdf?dl=0