Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 99 chev express 3500 cutaway with a service body on

Customer Question

I have a 99 chev express 3500 cutaway with a service body on it. I have owned the truck for 14 years and do most of my own work. I checked the lights today and the clearance lights, side markers and tail lights don't work. I checked all the fuses under the hood and in the kick panel and they are all ok. I have 12+ volts to all and continuity through them. About the only other thing I can think of is that the switch is bad. I do have voltage to the switch also on 2 terminals.
JA: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?
Customer: There are 14 bulbs on the circuit and they all worked last week so I think I can rule out bulbs. I removed and reinstalled the switch which appears to be making good contact.
JA: What year is your Volts?
Customer: 99 chev express 1 ton dually
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. checked all fuses for continuity and voltage.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

Ok, I need to know which color wires at the switch had voltage

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think one was red, largest one coming in, group of 7 and I don't recall the other one but it was in the group of 4.
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

Ok, give me just a couple of minutes to pull the connector pinouts for this

Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

This is on the headlamp switch, correct?

I show just one 11 wire connector

Can I get the vin number and try to pull the schematics by that

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
its a 11 wire switch grouped into a section of 7 and 4.
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

Ok, there should be 3 hot wires for power feed - red, pink and orange. Make sure to check with ignition in on position

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did not check with the ignition on, there were only 2 hot wires with the ignition off. I'm currently not with the vehicle.
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

There should be 2 hot with ignition off, red and orange and then pink with ignition off(this wire goes to the ignition switch.

If this is the case, then the switch is bad. If the pink does not have power with ignition on and switch on, then either a break in the pink wire or ignition switch on this circuit is bad

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will have to check it out tomorrow. Is it common for these switches to go bad?
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

Yes, they are very prone to failure. I have replaced many of them over the years

Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I purchased a new switch at NAPA today and installed it. The lights worked right away, however I tried them a half hour later and nothing. I have tried them many times today, most times they work sometimes they dont. Im confused.
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

When they dont work, do you have power on all 3 wires

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I haven't had a chance to check in out yet when that happens. Trying to get my work done and fix my truck on off time.
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

The most likely causes are either a defective switch out of the box with loose internal contacts, a loose wire at the connector itself, or a wire that is chafed and is intermittently grounding itself.

If there is power at all 3 wires when it doesnt work, then you know it is the switch that is simply defective out of the box

If there isnt, then trace the wire that doesnt have power and repair as needed.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will do that. I would think that if a wire is chaffed it would blow a fuse.
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

While most of the time it will, I have encountered some that dont blow any fuses or relays, so always good to check

Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?