Eric Gardner
Eric Gardner, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Automotive Technician with a Bachelor’s Degree in Automotive Technology
78075103

I've got a 2005 Chevy trailblazer which shows poor

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Emile. I've got a 2005 Chevy trailblazer which shows poor acceleration. I was wondering if the TPS could be the cause
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: Fuel filters not checked.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well there is no engine light on. Took the car to the mechanic. But so far everything is fine. The guy told me it could be the catalytic
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Yesterday I was caught in traffic with aircon on and suddenly the rpm went down and the oil pressure gauge dropped. I had stop engine sign lit fir a couple of seconds and then everything went back to normal
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric Gardner replied 10 months ago.

Hello Emile,

From your description of the problem, the catalytic convertor could be the problem. The easy way to find out would be to check the backpressure of the exhaust system before the Catalytic Convertor. You will need a backpressure testing tool to perform this diagnostic.

The only other issue that I have seen on these vehicles is a bad fuel pump. You will need to obtain a fuel pressure tester to perform the diagnosis.

If you have access to any of these tools, I can walk you through the diagnosis and give you the appropriate specifications for each test. Please let me know how you would like to proceed.