Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

Well, my car has not been starting right away. It takes a

Customer Question

well, my car has not been starting right away. It takes a few tries, then normally , it will turn over. Then this morning, I had the beeping sound after starting my car. The answers on this page indicate the BCM.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: would that be connected to the non starting issue. The engine turns over sometimes right away, sometimes it takes several tries. I dont know how old the battery is, maybe four years?
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2002 Chevy Malibu
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Maybe not myself, but if I can find a friend, yes. Prayer is all I've tried so far.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 3 months ago.

I have been a professional master mechanic for over 35 years and am happy to help you with this.

When it doesnt start, can you hear the starter spinning the engine, or does it make no sound at all?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, no "cranking' of the starter..more of a click. I thought battery, bit is not like the battery indicator light is lit or illuminates.

This sure fits all the symptoms of a starter beginning to fail completely. This is a very common issue with this car. What happens is the starter gets a "hot spot" on the armeture inside and if it happens to land on that spot after starting, it wont start until it gets past the hot spot and after a few atempts, it will actually move the starter just a little bit and get off that hot spot.

Starter replacement is in order.

If you are satisfied with my service please use the required

rating stars at the top of the page for me to receive credit for working with you. If you have another question about this please let me know so l can continue to help you.

You can still ask questions even after you do the required rating and there is no further charge!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That is what I was thinking as well. Thank you.
Just gotta make it home and to the shop!

I'll tell you a little trick....if you have a hammer and a helper sometimes if you smack the side of the starter at the same time someone is trying to start it. It will jar the starter enough to get past that hot spot :-)

Please remember to rate my service today using the stars at the top of the page.

Best wishes my friend!