Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

3 weeks ago my 2009 malibu engine shut down as I was going

Customer Question

3 weeks ago my 2009 malibu engine shut down as I was going 100 km/h on my way home. I had it towed to my dealer;they said it was a broken throttle body unit-it cost me $450 to fix. A week later I was on highway doing 100km/h and engine light came on and the car acted weird with the tacometer going up to 5000 and was too high even when I slowed down. I got to my destination shortly after. After the family dinner was over a few hours later,I decided to try driving the car home and stayed at 80km and it seemed OK,but I dropped it off at the Dealer anyway. The next day my dealer tells me that it is a transmission problem-they tried to fix it and could not and even brought in a specialest who also could not help. They put in a new transmission at a cost of close to $4000.00.
I week later I am on the way home doing 100km and the engine stalled and it would not start and I was stuck on the road.Had it towed to Dealer again. They replaced the whole electronic module ( computer ) and the oil pump (???) and charged me nothing.
I have spoken to several mechanics since then and they feel it was the computer problem from day one.
What do you think?
Ed ***
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer working afternoon till just after midnight.

On your repair orders are there any codes listed that they mentioned?

I can respond to your question based on symptoms and repairs but can get more accurate if I know more from what the vehicle had stored for codes.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris