sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I think the anti-theft system is not letting my car start

Customer Question

i think the anti-theft system is not letting my car start and was trying to see how to reset, but i can't afford to have a mechanic fix and pay for chat both
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: battery about 1 year old and it does turn over but theft system light comes on
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2004 cavalier
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: if it easy to do, will do myself if not will have to have it towed it is somewhere not a home right now, haven't done anything yet got home to check out what google could tell me
Category: Chevy
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 3 months ago.

have you tried locking and unlocking the door on the driver side with the key this normally shuts off the anti theft

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that has been done not knowing that that might work
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are handful of things you could have going on depending on what system you have and the actual symptoms. If the issue is with factory security then it would start and die. Pressing the unlock button on the key fob would disarm the alarm, if it's a key immobilizer issue then simply inserting a correct key and turning it to the run position would validate the key as long as the system is functional.

What actual symptoms are you having?