GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

I have a 97 silverado 1500 gas pickup. The a/c compressor

Customer Question

I have a 97 silverado 1500 gas pickup. The a/c compressor does not engage, unless I bypass the high pressure switch with a jumper wire. I read your reply of 5 years ago to another very similar situation and I want to confirm that the high pressure switch is normally an electrically closed switch. A high pressure event would cause the switch to open and disengage the compressor. This is what I understood, and I hope this is correct. Thanks, Mark
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 3 months ago.

good evening and thanks for the question, i beleive your right but give me a moment to confirm that

Yes sir you are correct the switch is normally closed and a high pressure event causes it to open interrupting the ground circuit. If you are able to install a jumper and get ac, reason would say switch has failed, however to be on safe side i would like to see a set of gauges installed and verify what the high pressure is

I will add that i have not seen alot of these switches fail not saying they dont and not saying yours hasnt just please check the pressures to verify.