rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

It seems like there is a problem with the fuel system the

Customer Question

It seems like there is a problem with the fuel system the engine light came on I changed the gas cap but after a couple days it came back on it hesitates for a second or two when I start it but eventually it comes on every since this problem the automatic starter is not working anymore the auto shop wants to charge me 150 dollars for a full diagnostic what should I do I wanted to change the filter but it's located in the gas tank and mr goodwtench says it's not serviceable what does that mean
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Yes it turns over and the battery is a few years old
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2008 Chevy equinox
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing but I never gave the battery a thought
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Chevy
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you today.

Before we get started though, please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see,smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is appreciated.

My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for my time.Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger. This is a great site, but it doesn’t replace a shop or necessary tools.

Diagnostic charges are normal, it's the only real way to go right to the problem rather than spend more money on needless parts that just went over what the diagnostic fee would have been and you still have the same problem. You need to test the fuel pressure with a gauge too.

Thanks, Ron